Friday, April 6, 2012

Custom Reincarnate Tables 3: Revenge of the Custom Reincarnate Tables

If you are looking for (or wish to return to) the central list of my updated Reincarnate tables, click here.

---


Once upon a time, I posted my procedure for creating custom reincarnate tables. Then I posted the complete set of tables that I use.

But recently, I realized that MonsterForge's database of 1062 monsters, which I used to create my lists, only draws from eight sourcebooks (Monster Manuals 1-4, the Fiend Folio, and 3/5ths of the It's ____ Outside series*).

*(Some elements of the D&D community call Stormwrack "It's Wet Outside", Sandstorm "It's Hot Outside", Frostburn "It's Cold Outside", and either Cityscape or Dungeonscape "It's Not Outside". MonsterForge uses the first three of these.)

But I allow somewhat more sources than just those.

So, over the past week or two, I constructed a new database, copying monster information from every sourcebook I allow, bringing the total monsters up to 1750.

(I skipped most templates. I might do a template database eventually. I also didn't import creatures that didn't already have stat blocks written, because the main purpose of this database is for creating dynamic random encounter tables.

Having completed the new database, the first thing I did was construct new random encounter tables.

(Actually, no, the first thing I did was determine that the average (mean) base 3.5e creature is roughly CR 7, has 11 HD, ability scores (counting -- as 0) of Str 19, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 11, and is found on page 136 of whatever book it's in.
The mode creature is CR 3, 4 HD, Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10, and is found on page 95.
The median creature is CR 6, 8 HD, Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 11, and found on page 142.)

These new tables are somewhat longer, so I switched from 1d% (which would have required two tables for most Types and four for one) to 1d200 (which requires two tables for only one Type -- Outsider, by far the most numerous Type. I still use two tables for it because there's no more convenient way to roll 1d400 unless you happen to own a d40). Hopefully you can figure out on your own how to roll 1d200. It involves a d10 and a d20.

(There were well over 300 Outsiders, but there were only 210 Magical Beasts. In the interest of minimizing the number of times you have to roll, I trimmed the ten most powerful Magical Beasts (other than Leviathan, which I figured was too iconic to leave out).)

Because I didn't import any templates, and didn't want to just keep using the incomplete template table when I had made all the other tables more complete, I eliminated "Reroll, +template" from every table.

Because they're so much longer, and the original post was already so cumbersome, I'll be doling out the new tables over the course of the next month. Afterwards, I'll post a summary linking to all of them, for ease of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment