- It doesn't limit what Conditions it can end, leading to preposterousness like ending the Dead condition, or only-slightly-less-preposterous ending Ability Damage or Drain.
- When it ends a spell or effect, it ends it entirely, not just on the initiator. Drow uses IHS to BY CROM away the blinding effect of the sun? No more sun.
- It takes a standard action to initiate, meaning that most of the most devastating Conditions in the game (Stunned, Paralyzed, Nauseated, etc) are not susceptible to being IHSed away.
Any IHS fix needs to address at least the first two problems. The third is a misfortune (and perhaps unintended) but not outright dysfunctional, so an IHS fix doesn't need to address it, but it's nice if it does.
So here's my proposed fix:
Iron Heart Surge
Level: Warblade 3
Prerequisite: One Iron Heart maneuver
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Duration: See text
By drawing on your mental strength and physical fortitude, you break free of a debilitating state that might otherwise defeat you.
Your fighting spirit, dedication, and training allow you to overcome almost anything to defeat your enemies. When you use this maneuver, select one of the following effects currently affecting you. That effect ends immediately.
- Ability or HP Bleed (does not restore lost ability score or hit points, but does stop further loss)
- Poisoned (does not remove the effects of poison you've already taken, but does prevent the poison's secondary effect)
- Any spell, power, spell-like ability, maneuver, or other effect with a listed duration other than Instantaneous
When you use this maneuver, the effect ends on you. It does not end at its source; other characters may still be affected.
While this maneuver can end most charms and compulsions, your character (depending on the exact nature of the effect) may not realize they are affected by such an effect, or may not be able to act against the will of the caster of the compulsion by initiating this maneuver.
When you initiate this maneuver, you also surge with confidence and vengeance against your enemies, gaining a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
If your initiator level is at least 10, you may initiate this maneuver on your turn even if a condition or effect currently renders you otherwise unable to take Standard actions. The effects you can end at this level include the above, and:
- Frightened, Cowering, or Panicked
- Paralyzed (unless paralyzed because of Ability Damage or Drain)
- Turned or Rebuked